Saturday, June 28, 2014

Summer 2014: Week 5

Week 5 began with a visit from Grandma and Papa!  We hadn't seen them in 6 months, so it was so nice to get to visit for a few days.

So hip they have to wear tie-dye.

We took a picnic lunch to Lone Ranch Beach.  The tide was way out, so we were able to watch some creatures, collect a few shells, and found some really impressive forts!

Mama and me.


This picture is hilarious to me.  She's a funny bird, like her mom.



Dad and Mom.

Grandma is so fun!  She jumped with the kids and learned a few flips and tricks, too!



Dad and Jeff.

Saying goodbye is hard!

Another day, another river trip!  I think Jackson was refusing to get out of the blanket, so the girls picked him up and threatened to throw him in the river.  Ha ha.

Jordan and Trent are fish.  The other kids swim for a few hours and then are ready to leave, but these two are always wishing for more time.

The kids plotting their next water attack.  Thanks to Papa and Grandma for the awesome water shooters!

After Grandma and Papa left, it became the week of appointments.  Dental, chiropractor, eye, and orthodontist appointments.  And along with all the appointments, the rain came for a visit!  We had 3 days of rain, which I thought my garden would be happy about, but... 

with the rain came the bugs as well!  I found two moldy zucchini yesterday, black aphids, and slug tracks too.  Not to mention the spotted cucumber beetles I keep finding.  This is the part of gardening that makes me not want to grow anything!  You work so hard for months and then the dumb bugs come and ruin everything.  Bugs are like deer--total meanies.
However, we have been harvesting salad greens since April and haven't had to buy any from the store, save once.  Hopefully the sun will dry everything out and we will be back on track soon.

Saturday was supposed to be a lot of things.  A day to finally finish recovering my kitchen chairs.  A day for a family hike.  A day to take our new boat to the river.  Instead, the sunshine showed up and so did my allergies.  So I'm stuck inside sneezing and wheezing, missing out on all the fun.  I know, poor me.  I guess I was meant to put together our history and reading curriculum for next year instead of what I had planned. 
While I was doing that, Jeff put up the girls' little tent and they stayed out there reading and having treats in their cool new fort.

And that's all she wrote for week 5 of our summer vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment